Monday, August 21, 2006

TWO & ONE HALF WEEKS LATER

How am I doing. Just fine. I have gotten myself into a routine that is quite easy to follow. I have lost 17 pounds now. I keep checking my closet to find those nice clothes I used to get into years ago and I found some. What a surprise when I tried a few on and they fit. But I have started a box with clothes in it that are too big for me. The more boxes I fill the better. Rudy is really great about cooking for himself.

This week I have added into my liquid diet 3 fruits per day--apples, peaches, melons--anything that can be mushed up. In actuality I do not swallow the apples--just chew them and suck all the juice out of them. I have not had any trouble with eating anything yet.

Today I went for lunch with Anita and Curtis and I had some cauliflower soup. Boy did it taste wonderful. So I tried a bit of soup for supper and no problem either. I can have a small yogurt each day so that is very tasty, too.

Since I blogged last time I have received a phone call from Rob Renner's office--he is our MLA. Apparently there is a bariatric clinic in Edmonton at the Royal Alexandra Hospital where they do lapband surgery and it is completely covered by medicare. How about that for the best kept secret in Alberta--probably only one of many. None of my three doctors had even heard of it. I also received an e-mail from our other MLA--Len Mitzel. He personally (on my behalf) talked to Iris Evans--the Minister of Health and Wellness for Alberta about my surgery and that I would like some financial help. That was very nice of him to do that for me. A few days later I received an e-mail from Iris Evans saying that the only cost that could be reinbursed to me would be the cost of the visit with the physician because this surgery could be done here in Alberta.

Knowing that this can be done in Edmonton really helps me because when I need a fill for my lapband I know where I can go to get it done. I should get a fill eight weeks after the surgery. Now for the great part--there is a waiting list of two years for this surgery. If anyone is interested in pursuing this go under the Capital Health Unit and find bariatric surgery--not that there is much information given, but it does give you a form you can print and take to your doctor to be filled in and sent to Edmonton.

I am still very happy with how my surgery went. Mexico was great and I do not begrudge the money spent. My blood sugar readings are all normal--between 4-6. I will make an appointment the second week into September to see my doctor.

No comments: